Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Funny story about finding what you didn't think you were looking for on the internet.

I hate facebook. I also dislike talking to strangers on the internet over just about any networking site but twitter. Oh, hell, who am I kidding-- sometimes I hate talking to my friends and family. There, I said it. Happy?

(Aside-- but just because I don't talk to you all doesn't mean I don't think fondly of you and hope you are doing well.)

Coincidentally, I met Malik, a stranger on the internet, on facebook. And somehow I didn't give him a polite brush-off when he contacted me (or maybe I did and he was just very good at working around it.) He also managed to get me out of the house to meet him-- impressive for being a non-work related stranger.

But I was motivated by music. I probably would have politely found a way to discontinue the conversation had he not disclosed that he played sitar and oud. And in all actuality, it was probably this picture in his facebook surrounded by instruments that prompted me to ask if I knew him initially:



I suppose I was slightly intrigued by someone who was silhouetted in front of two (possibly three?) keyboards holding a guitar with another guitar in the background.

(Coincidentally, I usually find out down the line that most people with whom I exchange dialogue are musicians. It is as if we stumble on each other because we vibrate at the same frequency. Some sort of unconscious magnetism, even over such a sterile form of interaction as the internet.)

And I am glad I met him and have plans to work with him soon. I did not know what to expect when I went to meet him; but he was more polite and had a deeper appreciation of aesthetics than I had anticipated. Our mutual admiration of Alexander the Great and seeing he had one of my favorite paintings in his livingroom, "The Storm" by Pierre-Auguste Cot, leads me to believe we may have much in common.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment